Position: Early Learning Program and Exhibit Specialist
Reports to: Science Learning Lead, Community Engagement
Science World British Columbia is a charitable organization that engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
Working as a part of the Community Engagement team, you will play both lead and supporting roles in development, implementation, documentation and evaluation of programs, exhibits and resources focused on early learners. You will play a key role in delivering, focusing, refining and scaling Big Science for Little Hands (resources and professional development programs for early learning educators and caregivers).
You will also be responsible for the curation of the new Wonder Gallery at TELUS World of Science. Working with the Science Learning Lead, as a part of the Community Engagement team, you will be responsible for the visitor experience staff and volunteer training and support for the Gallery. The Specialist will work collaboratively with the Community Engagement and Visitor Experience teams to integrate best practices in early learning pedagogy into our interactions with this important audience throughout the building and throughout the province through community outreach.
- Under the direction of the Science Learning Lead, curate the quantity and quality of exhibit and program experiences in the Wonder Gallery. This includes staff training and support, volunteer recruitment, training and support, and ongoing evaluation
- Facilitate the ECE student practicum program supporting Wonder programming activation and early learning development appreciation and expertise throughout our organization (staff and volunteers)
- Manage the ongoing delivery of Pre-school Curiosity Club, Big Science for Little Hands and Pre-School Summer Science Camp including planning, staff training and supervision, evaluation, monthly data collection and supporting development team with relevant funding proposal and stewardship report preparation proposals
- Act as Science World’s lead expert in Early Learning - liaising with ECE professionals, partner organizations, childcare providers, teachers, the public and community representatives
- Periodic special event and programming coordination and co-development with key community partners including Decoda Literacy Solutions, the Nanaimo Science and Sustainability Society and Exploration Place (Prince George)
- As an internal resource person, provide advice and training to staff and volunteers related to young children’s learning through exhibits research, professional books and electronic media
- Provide children, educators, and parents with a creative, awesome, wow, memorable science experience. Be responsible, energetic, thoughtful, interactive, and the positive ‘face’ of Science World within our facility and in the community
- Ensure successful delivery of workshops, programs and activities through ongoing communication and feedback with the Community Engagement Department
- Coordinate with the Science World digital team to build an ECE digital community to share resources, stories and promote ECE offerings including: Big Science for Little Hands resources, Pre-School Curiosity Club, Wonder and Pre-School Summer Science Camp etc.
- Support periodic ECE Speaker events
- Other duties as required
- ECE Certification and extensive relevant experience (minimum 3 years). Specialization in science is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentations to varied audiences (adults and children)
- Excellent organizational, time-management and team work skills
- Professional track record in implementing successful education programs and resources
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence attitudes towards science and technology
- Familiarity with innovative teaching methods, including inquiry learning, emergent curriculum, problem-based learning and cross-curricular teaching
- Experience with a variety of social media channels
- Valid BC Driver’s license with a safe driving history. Provision of a current driver’s abstract required (must be approved prior to hire)
- Able to work flexible hours including weekends, holiday and evenings as necessary
- Must be willing to travel
- All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks -
Please apply by Friday, August 18, 2017
* We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *