Position: Program Specialist, BC Green Games
Reports to: Director of Performance and Fun Times
Science World British Columbia is a charitable organization that engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
Working as part of the Community Engagement team, you will play both lead and supporting roles in the coordination, implementation, documentation and evaluation of programs, theatre spaces and resources. At the core of the portfolio of the Program Specialist is Leadership of BC Green Games (BCGG). Responsibilities also include curatorial and programming support for the Science Theatre and OMNIMAX Theatre, curatorial responsibility for the Centre Stage screen and regular, ongoing social media assistance to the Digital Team.
- BC Green Games, Science World’s flagship online program, is a digital eco-storytelling contest that encourages environmental action, documentation and sharing of province-wide efforts of teachers and students to be leaders in sustainability. As the lead point of contact with this provincial community of students, educators, community volunteers and advisors, you will be responsible for managing the website and the overall success of the program including scheduling, relationship management, evaluation and reporting.
- The Program Specialist will work with the Manager of Theatres to curate and schedule content for the Science Theatre and OMNIMAX Theatre. This position will also work with other members of the Community Engagement department on the development of school programming related to theatre content.
- The Program Specialist will be an active member of the cross-departmental Digital Team supporting specific campaigns and leading and supporting other team members responsible for program and gallery experiences to promote, extend, amplify and deepen visitor engagement through digital means.
- Additional program curation responsibilities and opportunities include identifying and managing content for the Centre Stage digital screen and other displays as needed.
This position requires an enthusiastic, organized, independent and creative individual with a passion for science and learning. Flexibility, confidence and experience working with a high energy presentation team delivering programs to culturally and socio-economically diverse audiences is a must. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, set personal deadlines and work quickly and efficiently on program activity is essential.
This is a full-time position requiring flexibility in workload distribution each school term with occasional weekend and evening work typically connected to periodic training and events.
The Program Specialist duties will vary throughout the annual BC Green Games program cycle. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Performing critical program-related administration tasks such as email communications, website administration, data entry, sending and receiving mail, and fielding support phone calls from teachers and participants
- Developing and building relationships with community partners from across the province and to coordinate connections between schools and provincial resources
- Developing program and website knowledge to assist teachers and participants with operating the website and answering team questions
- Participate in creation and implementation of promotional plan, strategizing and implementing a multi-platform campaign for the entire program cycle
- Acting as a representative of Science World and BC Green Games presenting to community and student groups about BC Green Games
- Motivating, supporting and connecting student project teams with their BC Green Games project work
- Supporting focused BC Green Games presence and promotions aligned with the annual prize winner announcements (typically April, aligned with Earth Day) and a month of scheduled BC Green Games certificate ceremonies
- Develop digital content for Newsletters, Social Media and Blogging with focus on BC Green Games, community partnerships, impact and action.
- Contribute to budget development and manage ongoing budget tracking related to portfolio of responsibilities
- Contribute to marketing and collateral resource material related to portfolio of responsibilities
- Promote Science World programs through promotional materials and written and oral presentations
- Reviewing potential films and content for the OMNIMAX Theatre, Science Theatre, and Centre Stage Digital display
- Other duties as required
- A degree in a related field (e.g. Education, Science, Communications, Museum Studies) with a minimum of 2 years practical related experience
- Background or equivalent experience in science
- Must be self-motivated, flexible, enthusiastic
- Proven experience working with Science World’s target audience in an informal educational environment
- Excellent communication skills, able to perform before audiences of varying size and composition
- Strong ability to identify and take action to help where required, and to organize and prioritize tasks in a way that is most helpful to the larger goals and schedule of the program
- Demonstrated dependability, reliability, flexibility, and willingness to contribute to a dynamic team
- Able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings as necessary
- Willingness to travel (via plane, ferry and van) for multiple days at a time
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience with social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
- Successful candidates will be asked to provide a current driver’s abstract
- Must be able to safely lift 12 kilograms (moving of workshop materials)
- All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks -
Please apply by July 21, 2017
* We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *